Friday, August 21, 2009

Brody's Gaurdian Angel

A few weeks after we found out I was pregnant, my grandfather passed away.
It was the day of my first ultrasound. So bittersweet, that moment was.
I remember being at the funeral, and I was really sad and upset and feeling worried about my pregnancy at the same time when I kind of had a conversation with Grandpa in my head. It was so cold out, and I was wearing a dress, I was shivering. All of a sudden this really warm, calm feeling came over me, and in that moment, I knew my baby was going to be OK. I knew he had a guardian angel, my grandpa.
Brody was born a month early. Weighing a healthy 7lbs 3 oz. But still in need of the NICU. I just prayed a lot and talked to Grandpa a lot and asked him to please keep Brody safe... 8 days later he came home to us.
Last month, Brody was crying, and I mean non-stop, I could not get him to calm down. I took him outside, which normally works, and nothing. So I looked up and said "Grandpa, can I get some help here, tease him or something!" In that moment, Brody stopped crying, looked up at the sky and smiled. I am not even kidding. I started crying on the spot. It was so surreal.
Then tonight, Corey put Brody in his one Cubs outfit - see I am a die hard Chicago White Sox fan - and we were lounging around with Brody, he was fussy, not crying, but fussy and Corey and I were talking about how he was wearing this outfit for Grandpa, and he smiled again! It is so unreal.
Is Grandpa Brody's Guardian Angel? I think he is.

Here he is wearing his Cubs outfit, just for Grandpa!

4 comments:

Becky said...

beautiful story. My dad passed away a few days after i got pregnant, i didn't even know it at his funeral. Once i found out, i totally felt he was Nich's guardian angel. About a week before i delivered, i swear i could smell my dad. It was kind of scary, but nice. I always felt i would be protected because of my baby's guardian angel.

These are beautiful memories, i will always remember.

p.s. i have that same boppy!

Unknown said...

Oh Lea this post was so sweet. I teared up reading it. I thing Grandpa is most definitely watching out for Brody Bear.

Sarah said...

This is such a beautiful story! I think your Grandpa is definitely Brody's guardian angel, and I bet he will love hearing this story when he grows up!

Anonymous said...

Oh Leanne - this post just killed me. I about wanted to bawl! I know exactly how you feel. My baby boy is named after my Grandpa Everett - who I adored & miss so much every day! I think my Everett is living up to his name and he is just as ornery as my Grandpa was! It's so hard to lose those you love and it is so comforting to know they are still watching over us :)