Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Birth Story!

For those of you who have been awaiting the tale of the 29 hour birth, here you go:
(TMI alert --- if you are squeamish or do not want to hear about "women/delivery issues, you may want to read with caution!)
So it started on June 3rd 2009. I woke up, went to work, and generally did not feel right all day. I was nauseous while working with patients and decided to call it a day. I chalked it up to being nervous about my amniocentesis I had scheduled for later on in the afternoon. So I got home, Corey and I ate lunch, hung out outside, and I started to feel better. I got in the shower and got dressed. I was about to leave for my 3pm appt and noticed that my panties were a little wetter than usual, so I went to go check, and it was nothing out of the ordinary for what is normal for a woman in their third tri. I kissed Corey good-bye, wishing he could come with me (he had to work at 4pm - he works 4-1am) and headed out. I got to my appt and they did the preliminary ultrasound to find a good place to preform the amnio and noticed that my fluid level was way down. The week before it had been at a 10.1 and now was at a 4.8. The doctor got concerned and said he had to do an internal to determine if I was leaking fluid. I was freaking out by this point. He came in did the test and immediately said, yep, + for amniotic fluid. Your not going anywhere tonight, your having a baby.
So I called my husband and told him not to go to work after all and to get to the hospital, my bag of waters had ruptured and I had a slow leak. He was so excited to finally meet our little man, he let out a whooooop! of excitement that the nurse taking notes could hear him through the phone. This all happened between 3 and 3:30pm.

I got admitted to labor and delivery and they started the pitocin drip, an insulin drip, D5 for sugar replacement(since I could no longer eat), antibiotics, and saline drip.

I am going to skip all the details, because there is just too much going on between now and 24 hours later, but I was contracting every 2 minutes, some more painful than others, getting stronger as they increased the pitocin. I labored all through the night, no sleep, because I could not sleep through the contractions (or my hubbys and moms snores from the pull out bed and recliner a few feet away). I was not getting the epi, because I had not made much progress, and I wanted to walk. But when I walked the monitors would move and they could not monitor Brody, so I got confined to bed anyways. The problem was that when they increased the pitocin enough to get some progress going, Brody would d-sat for a moment, so they would turn the pit back down... it was a roller coaster.
Flash forward 24 hours later, I was standing up bedside with my nurse when I felt a "pop" and water came GUSHING out like I could have never imagined. Buckets and buckets of fluid. Apparently I had a forebag(?) that had ruptured earlier, but my main bag had not, which was slowing progress. After that happened the contractions became UNBEARABLE, breathing through them was like running a marathon each time. OUCH! They came 25 hours into labor to give me the epi. Ahhhh - Heaven. And I got to sleep for the first time since Tuesday! (It was 6pm on Thursday by this time) So I slept, my mom came back to the hospital and her and Corey went out at about 945 to get some dinner after I told them to go, I needed some more sleep. Well the contractions were getting stronger and longer (not that I could feel them) but Brody just could not tolerate them. So at 1030 my doctor came in and said. "We are doing a c-section tonight. Brody will be here before midnight. I am going to go get the OR ready for you now." I called Corey and my mom back and they got there in record time. Corey got dressed in his scrubs, I got preped for surgery and off we went.
The c-section was so easy to go through. Once they got me all numbed up I looked at Corey and the anesthesiologist and said "I think I am going to take a nap." haha. I felt pulling and tugging, absolutely no pain, and at 11:28 pm on June 4th Brody James Griesmer was born.
Weighing in at 7lbs 3oz and 18.5 inches long!
Corey got to hold him next to me and I just cried and cried. We loved him so much.
I gave my little boy a kiss before they took me away to recovery.
In recovery they cleaned me up (weird, but the nurse gives you a sponge bath and you cant feel a thing! haha) and gave me pain meds and after hearing that Brody was doing well, I fell asleep from all of the meds. I was told they were keeping him in the NICU for the night for monitoring and I could see him in the morning. Little did I know what was to come next.....

Some Brody Pics:
4 day old Brody :)


Less than 24 hour old, in his crib/warmer

1 comment:

Melaina25 said...