Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Ugh- Can I cry more?????

I don't know why crying is my outlet - but I just cannot help it. I hear bad news - I cry. Corey and I fight - I cry... you get the picture.

Well, We got some news today, that kind of shook us up a bit....

Well as for Brody - he is doing great. He is a little bit ahead of schedule, which I don't mind ( I would love to get to meet him earlier!). Moving around a ton and is the picture of great health!

I am not so sure about me, however. We got a disappointing call from our perinatalogist (high-risk pregnancy specialist) today who had a meeting with my OB and my Neurologist. They feel that it will be best for me to go ahead and have the Lumbar Puncture (spinal tap) done to rule out some additional problems. I have now been to the opthamalogist, Neurologist, had an MRI of my brain, had a Lumbar Puncture scheduled (but cancelled because they were worried about the safety of the baby), and have seen a Neuropthamologist - none of which can figure out what is going on in my brain. Everything that could be wrong presents with symptoms that I do not have, so they are baffled. So now I am going to Froedert (the best hospital in WI) to see another Neurologist to get a 2nd opinion and he feels that it is for the best to do the LP.
They are worried about a diagnosis called Psuedotumor Cerebri - http://www.revoptom.com/HANDBOOK/SECT53a.HTM

But again, I don't have the symptoms, and am not obese. So they just do not know. They want to get the testing done ASAP so things do not come up later on in my pregnancy (when they can't do any diagnostics) or worse, during labor.

I am scared, of course, for me and our little one. And I have a meeting with the OB on the 19th to discuss my concerns about the spinal tap procedure and if they found a way to do it which minimizes risk to our baby. If they did not, then Corey and I decided to try and have an elective c-section, and worry about diagnosing me after Brody is born. (The main concern is that during labor, if there is increased pressure on my brain, that I could have an aneurysm while pushing) I have my Neurology appointment on April 7th and the LP will follow right after that.

We just wanted to update everyone on what is going on. We are taking this one day at a time.

So its been a rough day. I just want to go to bed.

9 comments:

Becky said...

What a tough decision to make! You do what you and your husband think is right/safe for you and Brody! I actually thought you told us a while back you were having a c-section anyways.

Hang in there, cry if you need to, get it out, but trust your doctor, you heart and your instincts! Keep us posted.

Scullyhoyy said...

Sending lot's of prayers your way.

Rsgrl said...

Thinking of you, sweetie. Call me if you need to talk.

Chelsey said...

I am sorry you have to go through this. I hope they figure everything out, and until then, I will be praying for everything to go well! Keep us posted!

Jessie said...

you guys will be in my thoughts lea, let us know what you find out.

((hugs))

Bee said...

Oh, Lea, I'm sorry. I will definitely be thinking of you all. I hope that at least the LP will give you some answers so your doctors will know how to best help you. ((hugs))

Kit said...

I am praying for you and Brody.
Luv ya! Big big big hugs for you and brody bear!

theweathermanswife said...

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this and make these decisions! I hope the doctors figure out the best plan of action for both you and Brody. I'm praying for you! (((Hugs)))

Eclipsed said...

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this Lea. I'll be sending lots of prayers your way. Keep us updated.